The Do's and Don'ts of SEO
The Do's and Dont's of SEO are some tips on 'what to follow' and 'what to ignore' in search engine optimization. These SEO tips will be updated occasionally to keep up with changes in search engine technology.
Do's of SEO
- Practice Content Writing. 'High quality content' has to be always useful. It should also be interesting and comprehensive. Writing content, which is both search engine friendly and user friendly, requires a lot of skill and effort. How does one create such premium content? Research the topic in depth by first analyzing the results of search engine user queries on the topic. Then, write unique content by thinking up original ideas about the topic. You won't get it right the first time. Continuous practice in content writing produces high quality content.
- Master Copywriting. Copywriting is not the same as content writing. Copywriting is always directed towards the completion of a task by your audience. Use persuasive words in the copy to increase sales and conversion rates. Revise and edit the copy text with an effort to find the best persuasive words to influence consumer psychology. SEO is enhanced when you merge the persuasive words with keywords in the sentences by implementing SEO copywriting.
- Classify Content Accurately. Headings and subheadings classify content. The anchor text of links classifies content. The text in headings and links should accurately describe the following content for both people and search engines.
- Differentiate Content. Add 'unique content' to differentiate your website from competitors. How do you write 'unique content'? Add searchable attributes, that are missed by your competitors, to the topic. Connect diverse topics in the content. Write in your own words and style. Some duplication of content will occur when you try to make the content comprehensive. But, minimize copying of content.
- Follow Search Engine Guidelines. Google, Bing and Yahoo provide guidelines to optimize content, improve website design, improve page design, and maintain quality of content. Google's Webmaster Guidelines and Bing's Webmaster Guidelines provide many hints and tips regarding how search engines rank results and detect spam.
Don'ts of SEO
- Don't Chase Links. Links play a very important role in SEO. But, it's not easy to acquire good external links. It takes less time to write good content, to rank well in search engines. Many links rarely pass any value. Link spamming by buying links or other methods, is penalized by search engines. Internal linking from your own content works much better.
- Don't Follow SEO Advice Blindly. Because, even an expert SEO can't tell with absolute certainty, how search engine algorithms work. Moreover, yesterday's advice may not work today. Advice offered on SEO blogs is mostly guesswork and worthless. Do you really think an SEO expert would reveal ranking factors on a blog? Determine search engine ranking factors yourself by experimenting, analyzing, and testing changes on a small scale before implementing on the entire site.
- Don't Obsess With Social Signals. Which social media signals affect search engine rankings? Rankings don't improve by increasing the bare number of Google+ Circles, Facebook Likes and Shares, Twitter Followers, and Pinterest Pins. Why? Because, search engines realize that it's easy to fake these numeric social media signals. It's just as easy to fake authorship markup of an article. In reality, social media content works just like any other website content, in influencing search results.
- Don't Be Complacent About Ranking. Changes occur frequently in the way search engines rank results. The search environment is constantly changed by publishers and search engine users. Prepare to adapt to the changes in content by publishers and keyword search changes by users, to maintain rankings. Plan in advance for new content.
- Don't Take Shortcuts for SEO Success. Stop expecting instant success from search engines. People tend to take the shortest and easiest path to success. There are no shortcuts to long term SEO success. Shortcuts lead to search engine penalties or even the entire website getting banned because they mainly consist of methods used to spam search engines.